Friday, February 21, 2020

Our Month of January!


January was an interesting one for sure. Our schedule went between the Lakers and the Runnin’ Vikes games, hanging out with the Johnson's, and our new fave snickerdoodle making. With the basketball season in full force, Trev has day trips to games a couple days a week so we’re constantly switching between his games being broadcasted and Lakers games to get our basketball fix, while the girls watch Frozen 2 for the umpteenth time in a row and somehow still love it. I feel the need to explain why we watch the Lakers because I feel some eyes just rolling and thinking “such a bandwagon fan.” All I have to say to that is that LeBron(whether he likes it or not lol he doesn’t even know it tbh) has been in my life since Trev and I started dating and will always be in my marriage no matter what team he plays for. Basketball in general seems to be running our house at the moment. I was even that wife that dragged her kid to morning basketball which meant leaving the house around 4:45 a.m., just to watch him play. Lol That being said, I like to watch the team that he helps coach as well, shoulder shrug.
I feel like it has been a somewhat good enough time for processing since the passing of Kobe. Having talked to many people on the subject, I guess just a couple weeks before we heard that he passed, he was out in Cashmere, Washington to watch a really good high school girl player. My immediate thought was “whoa, I coulda totally driven to watch him watch basketball for a couple hours.”
I was never a fan of the Lakers(until LeBron), especially of Kobe because of the way that he held himself on the court. Of course this was just a naïve 14 year olds perspective having only really seen the “bad stuff” that would come out about him and not actually witnessing a game he played in. Regardless I wasn’t a fan until the last couple of years. Watching him play with all the various injuries while still competing at such a high level against all these players who grew up watching him play and trying to mimic him, he grew on me. After church on the 26th, I got the text from my brother in our family chat with a news headline of Kobe’s death. At first I was in disbelief as I asked Trev if he had heard anything about it. We both then began to rifle through our social media and google to see if it was real. You guys obviously all know what we found…the explore page was full of Kobe and his daughter.
It was crazy to see and think about how big of an impact he had made in all of these lives in some way or another. Watching Trev was rough; he went silent for a bit before we talked about how crazy it was. Thinking about how young he was and hearing that his daughter was in the accident too made me even more sad. I think I tried to stay off of Instagram for a couple of days to cool off. Not that I was sick of people posting but because I felt it would quickly bring my mood down just thinking about the families during this time. Seeing the posts about how he adjusted his schedule to be there for his kids was sweet. It was touching to see how much he cared to be there. It brought me to think about the time that I have with my loved ones and whether or not I am making the most of that time with them or not.
The girls and I were able to hang out with the Johnson’s in Kent for Halli’s last season home game while Trev stayed in Moses for his games. Grabbing some candies to make lei’s was a must and Trev printed Halli’s number and name on a couple of the girls outfits; which turned out super cute. Watching Grandpa Burt high five the players while walking behind Halli as she was being spotlighted was the best. The game started and Ray was already not having my yelling. I didn’t think that I was such a yeller watching sporting events but boy have I got a lot to work on; especially thinking about my kids sporting events to come. I’ve got some time I guess.
Savannah loves the snow and just loves to be outside. On the days that I get a little cabin fever we’ll layer up and go for a walk. Our walks are never far but they always take a while because of how slow Savannah walks. I don’t know if she is just taking in the time she gets to be outside or if she’s purposely taking so much time between steps knowing I’ll eventually pick her up because of my lack of patience. Either way, we enjoy the walks. 
I have upped my cookie game with the help of Kelly sharing some recipes. Baking is something I never thought I would be good at but with all of the extra time I’ve found hiding from the cold, I decided to jump into the cookie world. Thanks to Auntie Tollhouse and her recipe(along with Kelly’s tweaks), I have achieved my rookie badge and have now even moved onto Girl Scout level; which will also soon be passed with these bomb snickerdoodles! It was a good month filled with fun memories. Now the countdown begins til we’re back on the rock where my skin doesn’t need as much lotion and we can all get our tans back. I think that’s the biggest thing I miss lol didn’t think I’d fade like the end of infinity war… Anyways, hope you guys have a great weekend.

-Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment