Friday, February 14, 2020

Happy Valentine's Day!


2/14/20

A Quick Read

Never have I ever read for enjoyment… until this past week. Reading has always been something I admired from afar and thought I was rubbish at since anything I started to read would end up “lost” or put me to sleep in the first couple of pages. There was a book that I read before I turned 21 that really got me thinking about going on a mission but that was also the time I met Trevor. Anyways, back to reading, my mother-in-law lent me her kindle (which has a lot of books on it) and as I scrolled through the many choices I stumbled on this book called “The List” written by Melanie Jacobson. No clue what it was about, I started it on our way home from Kent Monday afternoon. Just reading the first page it said that it had no connections or affiliations with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and immediately I was like “whoa, am I going to get in trouble for this?,” fingers crossed as I went to the next page. Learning quickly that it wasn’t anything bad about the church, I happily continued reading. I have found that I am a fan of romantic novels and this was becoming a solid read in my opinion.
The main girl we follow is named Ashley and she is a member so already I am interested in this book. It described the struggles of singles ward probs that go on in the summer down in So-Cal. I found myself laughing and thinking about my own experiences in the singles ward in Hawai’i on the north shore. All of the visitors we would get and those darn “Linger-Longer’s” that I hard core avoided because I for sure thought I was above them. Lol That was all in my head though because really I think I was just socially awkward. You could also say I had no game along with no experience with the male species. So that could be another reason why I ducked out of activities. In terms of visitors-- the amount of times visiting girls would come either dressed like a hippie or revealing a little too much in attempts of catching the eyes of one of the guys… I can’t tell you how many times I eye rolled at that. And I couldn’t have been the only one thinking those things. I guess I can’t really talk though because I may have worn a little too tight of a skirt every now and then. It's just that dating in the community I grew up in (Laie/Kahuku) was already kind of hard being that most of us are related or the guys just aren’t looking your way (at least my way, lol). I didn't need these visitors hurting my chances. Lol I guess we were all just in the same boat though searching for Mr. Right so we didn’t have to attend the singles ward anymore. 
The picture that the author illustrates of the love interest is what every girl is looking for. Just, why don’t guys get that? From the games that we play to get someone hooked on us to trying to seal the deal, I felt the author was spot on with everything until the end which I didn’t love as much but I guess it was realistic. I won’t spoil it for those wanting a nice fun and quick read. And how fitting it was right around Valentine’s Day.
I would say that Valentine’s Day is a fave holiday of mine because I get to celebrate back to back days. Lol At least that’s how I saw it whenever I found my forever partner… I’m kidding. We celebrate it but there is a little pressure for him because it is my birthday the next day. Not kidding. As I think about the holiday, it is special because it is another day of the year to be thankful for relationships; siblings, parents, spouses, friendships. All forms of relationships are celebrated every holiday and that is what I look forward to. I know I am not the first to say this, but sometimes we need reminders. I find joy in my relationships with my parents, siblings, in-law’s, friends and my own little family here in Moses Lake. Hope you all have a Happy Valentine’s Day.

-Kay

1 comment:

  1. Never would've thought you'd be a reader haha.. I'm still not but audiobooks are sick! Also, it's weird seeing this side of you but I like it haha never really seen it before so keep it up. Happy V and B-day

    ReplyDelete