Friday, February 28, 2020

My Life In Sushi Years


Never was much of a fan of raw fish growing up til about 4 or 5 years ago. I tried this one sushi joint and realized that I had been missing out. Sure, I enjoyed the occasional bites of others poke bowls from Foodland or Superette every now and then but never ate a lot because something never sat right. For a long time I had something against eggs, salmon, and chicken too but we could save that for another time. Anyways, if something didn’t taste right to me at an earlier age (I guess this is for most people too) it wont’t see my diet until someone convinces me to have a taste. My junior year in college is when I had that taste and for a good two weeks I was crazy about sushi. The downside of this craze was that the sushi joint was a half hour away from home and I couldn’t really fit it into my schedule. On the other hand, I still had the poke bowls that I would now get to look forward to. And those basically held me over until the next time I made it down to Kaneohe(where the sushi joint is). It just makes sense to me that Hawaii would have great sushi like everywhere. For some reason I took that thought to the gas station and my tummy hated me for that decision.
Moving up to Washington for 6 months, I made sure to get sushi before we left. I just wasn’t sure if I’d find a good sushi place here. I assumed Seattle had good places because it’s by the ocean but def wasn’t sure about Moses Lake. So about the first week of being in Moses Lake we pass this “Sumo Sushi” sign so I began looking up the reviews. Finding good reviews, my next thing was to convince Trev to take me there… Fast forward 5 months, we ended up trying this other joint Rob told us about called Tsunami Sushi. The girls were down for a nap and that was my chance to go on a hunt for it; I say hunt because I forgot my phone and couldn’t GPS it…struggle. Driving downtown in Moses Lake is fun because it goes from like newer looking areas to an old town look in the blink of an eye(and by blink I mean hold that blink for like 20 seconds, lol). Pulling in to a little park I walked down the street to find the restaurant. I loved everything thing about this street for some reason. I just felt like I was on Gilmore Girls because of the small-town vibes this street gave off. There was a small bakery across the street from the park and a little ways down there was a post office, a bunch of little boutiques, a salon, a thrift store and other restaurants.
Walking into the restaurant I was surprised because there wasn’t just a counter to look over the menu and order but rather a sign saying “wait to be seated.” I just confusingly stood there and waited for the guy to ask me if he could help me. Lol I asked for a menu and he asked me if I spoke English or Spanish. I couldn’t tell if he was serious as I laughed and said English quickly taking the menu and saying, “thanks.” Looking over the menu I was flipping back and forth again and again really trying to see what I would like. He would come and check on me and even brought me another person’s order to show me something popular which was the Cali roll. Did I look that basic?! Lol (I am not saying that is a basic order but in my head I was like, “I can eat raw things, bruh.”) Finally getting my order down, I went with the Tempura Cali (lol), Rainbow and the Hawai’i, of course.
Taking the order home, mouth-watering and all during the five minute drive, I went straight to work in the kitchen trying a piece of each order just wishing I had tried this place the first week we were there. The Hawai’i had this spicy tuna roll topped with “Hawaii sauce” and a piece of tuna which was really nice, tbh. Maybe a lil spicy for me but I am pretty sure the Hawaii sauce was just soy sauce with a whisper of sugar, shoulder shrug. The tempura Cali was just a Cali roll deep fried with spicy mayo and eel sauce which mixed together was so YUM like wow I could have that on a lot of things and not be mad at it. The rainbow had a bunch of different fish on top of a Cali roll (okay I may be a lil basic) which was nice on its own but again super charged with the spicy mayo/eel sauce mixture. Overall I enjoyed the experience and sushi from this establishment so much that I went again just yesterday to get the same order pretty much. Just instead this time we tried the Panda which had, I think, a Cali roll with asparagus, cream cheese and I think tuna with the spicy mayo and eel sauce. And maybe double the size of the other rolls which I found I have a large mouth. Lol. Conclusion: Sushi joints don’t gotta be near the ocean to be great, you just gotta find a bunch of dudes that know their sushi and trust them to do their thing. If you’re ever in Moses Lake and stop by Tsunami Sushi and let me know what y’all try and think about they’re food!

Anyways, have a great weekend! And don’t be afraid try new things!

-Kay

1 comment:

  1. Yum my mouth is watering. LETS GET SUSHI TOGETHER ASAP. I’m obsessed with you and this blog.

    ReplyDelete